Here's what I did:
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chicken breast - skinless and boneless
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- ¼ cup sweet Marsala wine
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- ¼ cup pitted prunes (just for effect)
- 1 sprig of parseley
I also made some couscous to have the chicken with, but you can use rice or mashed potatoes as well. Follow the instructions on the packet to make enough for one person.
- Start by heating the oil in a slightly deep non-stick pan on medium high.
- Fry the chicken breast for about 2 minutes on each side until it's lightly brown on both sides. While this is happening, heat up the chicken stock and wine to slightly above room temperature. 20 seconds in the microwave is generally enough.
- Move the chicken to one side of the pan, and add the mushrooms and garlic (and onion if you have one) to the other side.
- Fry the mushrooms until tender, but not too long that it turns brown. Stir often.
- Add the wine, and bring to a boil. While this is happening, mix the salt and all purpose flour into the chicken stock. Mix it well into a paste.
- Add the chicken stock mixture and bring to a boil again.
- Add prunes, and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes until chicken is fully cooked (see that there are no pink portions inside)
Serve chicken on top of couscous, add sauce, mushrooms and prunes over it allowing it to drip off to the side. Garnish with parsley.
Let me know how it works out for you.