- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp mixed herbs (I used sage, thyme and marjoram)
- 3 medium sized potatoes cut into cubes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1.5-2 cups kidney beans (Rajma beans in India), pre-boiled (I used prepared canned beans). Drain them.
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (along with the juice)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shell pasta (uncooked)
- 2 Tbsp baby spinach
- Freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a 3-4 quart (litre) pot
- Add the garlic and fry on medium-low for a minute
- Add the herbs and fry for about 20-30 seconds while stirring
- Add the carrots, potatoes and beans and fry for 1 minute
- Add the tomatoes and mix so that everything's coated with the liquid from the tomatoes
- Add the mushrooms and the vegetable stock and increase the heat to high until it just starts to boil
- Add salt and pepper (I grind the pepper directly into the mixture), and mix
- Add in the pasta and spinach, and reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered until pasta is ready.
- Turn off the heat and serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese
The soup came out well and serves 7-8 people as a meal in itself.