- 2 cups wheat berries (also known as whole wheat grains)
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- 1/4 cup dried + sweetened cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup mixed raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted and sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Place wheat in water such that the water level is approximately 2 inches above the wheat. Soak for 8 hours. (You probably want to do this overnight)
- Drain completely and then cover with water again to approximately 2 inches over the wheat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Allow to simmer for 1 hour.
- Drain completely.
- Toss in oil
- Add in vinegar
- Add in cranberries, apricots, raisins and almonds and toss
- Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste
- Just before serving add in green onions.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
VariationsWe tried a few variations that came out nicely. First, you could use olive oil instead of sesame oil, but you might need more than 3 tablespoons. If using Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar tends to go better than Rice Wine Vinegar. You could use other kinds of nuts as well. We tried Pecans and Pine Nuts.
Once the wheat is cooked, preparation is quick. You can cook the wheat a day in advance and refrigerate, then heat it in the microwave or on the stove just before adding other ingredients.